Guidance from a Compassionate New York Mesothelioma Attorney
During his career fighting for the rights of mesothelioma victims in and around New York City our founding attorney, Joe Williams, has seen firsthand the toll that cancer takes not only on survivors but also on their family and friends.
Months and years of visiting mesothelioma oncologists and managing various mesothelioma treatments means someone—or more likely several people—will need to help shoulder myriad responsibilities for their sick loved one. This is doubly true because, these days, cancer survivors tend to spend less time in the hospital and more time traveling to cancer treatment centers. Now, family and friends provide the majority of in-home cancer patient care.
Being a mesothelioma survivor’s caregiver can help displace feeling sad, overwhelmed, or helpless in the face of a loved one’s illness. It also can be frustrating and emotional, not to mention demanding. When our team at The Williams Law Firm, P.C. works with these families, we always try to make sure that they have the support and resources they need to face these challenges.
CARE FOR THE CAREGIVER
It’s natural for caregivers to feel unsettled, even selfish, when their own fatigue begins to set in after caring for someone who can become as sick as a mesothelioma survivor. Cancer caregivers stumble when they run out of their own strength, which is why it is important that they keep themselves in mind, as well, during this difficult time.
Here are four steps that cancer caregivers can take to maintain their own health and well-being:
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH LOVE. WHILE YOU’RE LOOKING IN ON YOUR PATIENT, THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE FRIENDS AND FAMILY AROUND TO LOOK IN ON YOU.
- REMEMBER YOUR BLISS. WHETHER IT’S A HOBBY, GAME, SOCIAL CIRCLE OR FAITH COMMUNITY, IT’S IMPORTANT FOR CAREGIVERS TO BALANCE OUT THE INTENSITY OF CANCER PATIENT CARE BY GETTING BACK TO THEIR OWN INTERESTS AND PASSIONS.
- MASTER YOUR OWN HEALTHCARE. IT BECOMES ALL-TOO-EASY FOR CAREGIVERS TO OVERLOOK THEIR OWN PERSONAL CARE. BUT EVEN WHEN THE WEEK PREVENTS SOMETHING AS BENIGN AS A HAIRCUT OR TRIP TO THE MOVIES, THE BENEFITS OF EATING HEALTHFUL, REGULAR MEALS, EXERCISE, AND RESTFUL SLEEP ARE POWERFUL IN THE FACE OF STRESS. KNOW THAT WHEN CAREGIVERS SLACK ON THEIR OWN SELF-CARE, THEY BECOME MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BECOME SICK THEMSELVES.
- MASTER TIME MANAGEMENT. AN UNWIELDY SCHEDULE CAN PRODUCE UNNECESSARY STRESS FOR THE CAREGIVER AS WELL AS THE MESOTHELIOMA PATIENT. SO CULTIVATE A SUPPORT NETWORK OF FELLOW PATIENT CAREGIVERS, AND REMEMBER TO DELEGATE, DELEGATE, DELEGATE.
CAREGIVER READING LIST
Education and information are key to facing down life’s challenges with grace. As soon as you know that someone in your family is suffering from mesothelioma and may need caregiver assistance, consider seeking out these quality references on the subject of caregiving.
Two highly-recommended books include:
- COMPLETE GUIDE TO FAMILY CAREGIVING, BY JULIA BUCHER, PETER HOUTS AND TERRI ADES (AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY)
- COMPASSION SATISFACTION: 50 STEPS TO HEALTHY CAREGIVING, BY PATRICIA SMITH (CREATESPACE INDEPENDENT PUBLISHING PLATFORM)
YOUR MESOTHELIOMA & ASBESTOS ATTORNEY
Standing up to the parties responsible for your loved one’s mesothelioma-causing asbestos exposure could provide additional peace of mind and financial support for the patient and their family. If your loved one is suffering due to mesothelioma, it may be time to explore your legal options.
OUR DEDICATED AND EXPERIENCED NEW YORK MESOTHELIOMA LAWYER IS READY TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION WITH YOU. CALL US AT (855) 971-0343 TODAY.