Car Accident Checklist: What to Do After a NY Auto Collision
The scene of an accident is a chaotic environment and the experience itself is traumatic and overwhelming. However, the steps one takes in the aftermath of an accident are crucial. The way in which you address the situation can greatly impact the future of your case should you choose to file a personal injury claim. In the event that you are involved in an accident, keep this helpful checklist in mind.
After An Accident
- Stay Safe: The immediate concern should always be safety. If you are injured and feel that moving might jeopardize your safety, or risk further injury, remain in your car.
- If your car is in the way, or obstructing traffic, you and any other drivers involved should move to a safe location, but do not simply leave the scene of the accident.
- Check to see if anyone else involved was injured.
- Call 911. Even if the car accident is relatively minor, it is still important to call law enforcement to file a police report. Some injuries might seem minor, but could become bigger problems later on. Having a police report will help your personal injury case.
- Gather Information: When gathering information, be sure not to admit fault. People often instinctively apologize for accidents even if they are not at fault. Statements you make at the scene can come back to haunt you, so be careful and try to refrain from saying anything that may harm your chances at compensation in the future.
While a police report will include information from all drivers involved, it is still a good idea to collect this information yourself in case something is accidentally omitted.
New York Car Accident Attorney
Victims of car accidents often face significant financial burdens due to their injuries, incurring costly medical bills, time off from work, or lost earning capacity. The Williams Law Firm, P.C. has more than 25 years of legal experience and can offer aggressive and skillful representation to obtain compensation on your behalf. Our New York legal team cares about clients and helps them understand their legal rights.
Call our office today at (855) 971-0343 for a free consultation.